You can’t win them all, but you sure can apologize and own your losses. Pleasing everyone is a daunting task, and if that is all you try to do you probably won’t ever get anything done. Worse, you are pretty unlikely to be successful.
With all of that said, one of the best tools you have to create a positive experience in an unfortunate situation is the power of the phrase, I am sorry. I think we all know it, but it can be hard to execute. It means that you may have to have a difficult conversation or swallow your pride, but I can tell you an apology can go a long way to build loyalty.
Take-away: Next time you are in an unpleasant situation here are some steps to follow.
1. Listen to the person share why he/she was upset.
2. Repeat what you did that upset the person in question.
3. Apologize for that action.
4. Share what you will do to prevent that action from happening in the future.
5. Take action to prevent the action as you indicated you would.
6. Move on! Life is short, don’t dwell on mistakes. After all, we are all human. 🙂